John and Louise Hackbarth were two of Sealy's very earliest residents. The Hackbarths were born in Texas in the mid-1800s. Their parents were from Germany.
John and Louise built a two-story brick mercantile store on the northwest corner of Main and Front Streets in 1880.
The Hackbarths built the small house that is currently located within the Sealy Historical Park and placed it behind their store. This is where they lived for the first few years they resided in Sealy.
In the early 1900s the Hackbarths tore down their two-story brick grocery store and built a new store in the same location. In the 1930s that store was torn down and a new building was constructed to the house the U.S. Post Office. That building still stands.
In the late 1800s the Hackbarths built a Victorian style house at the corner of 5th Street and Eagle Lake Road. They moved their small house and attached it to the rear of their new, much larger house. In 1924, the Hackbarths tore down their Victorian style house to build a new Craftsman style home. Their small house was placed in the back yard behind their new house. The 1924 Craftsman still stands in its original location. In 1989, their daughter, Mrs. Irma Hackbarth Datweiler, donated their small house to the Sealy Area Historical Society.